When Gladys felt a call on her life to go and minister to those in China, she did the practical thing - go to the missionary societies and offer her services. However, none of them would have her. So, instead of giving up, she decided to go on her own and, after working for months to save up enough money for her train fare, she traveled by train from England to China because it was much cheaper than going by boat (pull out a map if your geography is a little rusty - it's a long way!). By the grace and protection of God, she made it through the USSR (barely!!) and into China to begin her ministry. The fortitude, humility, grace, patience and love this woman had is absolutely astounding! She lived to see numerous power changes (never peaceful) in the town she lived in, took care of many resulting orphans, stopped a prison riot, became an advocate for prison reform and led 100 children on a 27-day trek to safety across mountains, a river and through many cities left desolate by the Japanese. As soon as they arrived to safety, Gladys collapsed with typhus, among other things, and was seriously ill for months and recalled that "I have no idea how long I laid in that hospital, for typhus affected my memory, and the following two years are very hazy." This is yet another book that reinforced for me the importance God has placed on children (especially orphans) and the hazards He asks His people to go through to protect and save His little ones.
Here's what Gladys Aylward had to say later in life about being called to China - "I wasn't God's first choice for what I've done for China. There was somebody else. I don't know who it was --- God's first choice. It must have been a man --- a wonderful man, a well-educated man. I don't know what happened. Perhaps he died. Perhaps he wasn't willing. And God looked down and saw Gladys Aylward."
As much as I am convinced that she was God's first choice, may we take the warning and if God calls us to do something - GO!!!! Don't make Him find a second choice.
I am currently trying to watch The Inn of the Sixth Happiness which is the movie based on Gladys Aylward's early life. However, I do know that she didn't like if very much (she was still alive when they made it), so I'm not making it a top priority. I have heard fabulous things about it, though, so we shall see!
Blessings in Christ,
No comments:
Post a Comment
In order to attempt to always be edifying on this blog, comments will be read before they are allowed to be published.